Tag Archives: whiskey

Edermine House, County Wexford

Edermine House, which was built by Sir John Power, of Power Distillery fame, in 1838. This impressive collection of buildings has been described as “possibly the most interesting domestic architectural ensemble in County Wexford.”

edermine

Edermine House, a fine example of the Greek revival style, is a two-storey, three-bay Italianite villa designed by John B. Keane, with a handsome portico formed by Doric columns. There is a five-bay side elevation with a Venetian window.

Edermine, with it’s chapel And splendid Victorian iron conservatory designed by Richard Turner and James Pierce – an extraordinary curvilinear conservatory with a central semi-dome, flanked by plant houses that once housed a grapery and a peachery. The chapel commissioned by Sir James
Power and his wife, Jane, built in the 1850s. Lady Power was a daughter of Pugin’s Irish patron, John Hyacinth Talbot, and the Power family later intermarried with the Cliffe family of Bellvue.

chapelA plaque on the door and a second inside the chapel has led many to believe that the chapel is too late to have been designed by AWN Pugin, and they have ascribed it to either his son, Edward Welby Pugin, or to JJ McCarthy. However, Pat Doyle has long believed that the chapel is an original work by Pugin and that McCarthy merely supervised its later construction, and many contemporary writers believe the intermarriages between the Talbot and Power families underpin the supposition that the chapel was originally designed by the elder Pugin and that the project was supervised either by his son or by McCarthy.

Words and Photographs copyright to and courtesy of Reverend Patrick Comerford, Wexford and Dublin.  With thanks.

Advertisements

The Story of Power’s Whiskey

whiskeyIn 1791, James Power,  originally a coaching innkeeper of Thomas Street in Dublin, established the “John’s Lane Distillery” at Thomas St. in Dublin.  Originally called “James Powers & Son”, by 1809 the business had become a limited company under the name of “John Power and Son” with the father remaining in charge.

The business continued to grow successfully and by 1823, Power’s distillery boasted a 500 gallon still with an annual output of some 33,000 gallons of whiskey per year!

This success had it benefits for a family that within a generation rose from simple innkeepers to members of Dublin’s high society. John Power was knighted and became High Sheriff of Dublin. Such was his standing that it was he who laid the foundation stone for the O’Connell Monument on O’Connell Street – Dublin’s main thoroughfare.

1809_landBy 1866, John Power & Son began bottling their own whiskey, becoming one of the first distilleries in the world to do so. Until then, distilleries usually sold whiskey by the cask (opposite). A gold label adorned each bottle and it was from these that the whiskey got the name Powers Gold Label.

Check out their website here and have a “small wan” the next time it get’s cold out !  Also you can read more about the fascinating Power’s Whiskey story from this document – an extract from Thom’s Almanac in the late 1800s.