Powers of the World by blood, kin or friendship, it gives us great pleasure to introduce the Power Clan Gathering programme of events.
Our event will run from Friday 31st May through Tuesday 5th June 2013, based in County Waterford, Ireland – Tír Paorach [Power Country] – the ancestral home of all Powers.
To book your spot at our event, or to attend any section, day or individual event, see our “Book your Spot” page … registration is essential !
FRIDAY | 31st MAY [ venue | Dunhill, Co. Waterford ]
- Registration at Dunhill Castle from 2 pm, with an overview of the weekend’s programme.
- Opening Ceremony and Welcome.
- Homecoming walk to Dunhill Wetlands led by local performers and musicians.
- Blessing and unveiling of Fr.Val Power Commemorative seat, with Fr.Paul Murphy, Dunhill.
- Memorial Tree Planting ceremony. 3.30 pm
- Traditional performers, music, stalls and re-enactments by local traditional groups.
- “A Taste of Waterford” dinner at local hostelry – Harney’s – followed by a lecture from Julian Walton entitled “History of the Power Clan” plus traditional Irish music, song and dancing at the crossroads. 7.30 pm
SATURDAY | 1st JUNE [ venue | Tramore & Dunhill, Co. Waterford ]
- Guided trip to Hook Tower lighthouse, with lecture. 9.30 am
- Guided walk along emigrant “Hurtle Trail” led by Ray McGrath followed by optional extra boat trip on the River Suir, stopping at Duncannon Fort and Dunmore East. 9.30 am
- Guided Walk of Tramore with Daithi de Paor, followed by storytelling session and Power Clan exhibition at the Old Coastguard Station. 10.30 am
- Lunch at Hook (New Ross), Dunmore or Tramore. 1-2 pm
- Tramore Race meet, with PaddyPower sponsored “Power Clan Handicap” feature race. From 3pm
- Battle re-enactment on Tramore Beach, with ‘Bird of Prey’ show, family fun and games 12-7 pm
- Dinner at Tramore Racecourse. From 6.30 pm
SUNDAY | 2nd JUNE [ venue | West County Waterford & Kill ]
- Assemble at Tramore Coastguard station (or be picked up at your accommodation) for a Tour of Tír Paorach (Power Country), including Mount Congreve, Lismore Castle, Ardmore, Dungarvan and Rinn Ó gCuanach (Gaelic speaking area). 10 am
- Commemorative Mass in Dunhill Church with Fr. Paul Murphy 11 am
- Return via the wonderful Copper Coast taking in the sights at the Copper Coast Geo-Park, Garrarus, Kilmacthomas Workhouse and Annestown. 12 – 4 pm
- Summer BBQ and Ceilí Mór at historic Power-connected Gardenmorris including music, song, poetry and entertainment. 7.30 pm
(This event is in aid of the Waterford Hospice and all are welcome to attend.)
MONDAY | 3rd JUNE [ venue | County Waterford ]
- Genealogy talk with Tony Hennessy at Faithlegg House Hotel.
- Lunch at Faithlegg House Hotel.
- Dermot Power led guided “Power Trail” to the historic Houses of Waterford including Grannagh, Curraghmore House, Clonea-Power and Portlaw.
- Enjoy the Clancy Brothers street festival, entertainment & music in Carrick-on-Suir.
TUESDAY | 4th JUNE [ venue | Waterford City ]
- Walking or guided tours of historic Waterford City including entry into :
- Reginald’s Tower Begins 9.30 am
- Waterford’s Medieval Museum
- Waterford’s Georgian Treasures at Bishop’s Palace
- A chance to visit the Waterford Crystal showrooms and factory. 11.30 am
- Music on the Millennium Plaza. 2.30 pm
- Light buffet and drinks at closing event in the Granville Hotel, with the Mayor of Waterford. Includes a talk on the fractured history of the Power Family’s relationship with the city by Dermot Power and a message from Mayor of Waterford Cllr. Jim D’Arcy. From 4 pm
- Closing concert in wonderful Christchurch Cathedral. 8 pm