COMPETITION TIME AGAIN in partnership with WLR fm
We want to know your Power Clan nicknames and the stories behind why each branch of the clan was know as such.
There were so many Power families in Waterford and surrounding areas that they had to be differentiated by nicknames … and we’re sure there are some funny or unusual ones about.
For example, one of our committee member’s family is known as”The Mountain Powers” to distinguish them from the Power families who lived at the bottom of the mountain – “The Jeffs” !
So please leave your stories and nicknames in the comments and we’ll give 2 tickets to our Gardenmorris BBQ and Ceilí event on June 2nd to the winner !
Ridgley Ceylon Powers (1836-1912) was a Union officer in the American Civil War and a Mississippi politician who served as that state’s Governor from 1871 to 1874. Born in late 1836 to Milo Powers and Lucy Ann Dickinson, his education was attained at the University of Michigan and at Union College in New York, where he took classes in 1862.
During the Civil War, he served as a private in Company C of the 25th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and rose to the rank of colonel by time of his discharge in 1865. After his military service, he moved to Mississippi and settled in Noxubee County, where he ran a cotton plantation. Powers joined Mississippi’s newly established Republican Party in 1868 and was elected lieutenant governor in 1869. Although most Republican officials were very unpopular during the period after the war, Powers retained the confidence and respect of the people during his term as lieutenant governor and later as governor.
Powers died in Los Angeles, California in 1912.
Dermot Power from Dungarvan, Co.Waterford is a digital artist and concept designer who has worked on many well known films, adding to them with his wonderful artwork.
His name may not be as famous as those on whose films he worked, but among his credits to date he can include the Harry Potter films, Batman Begins, Beowulf and Star Wars : Episode II – Attack of the Clones.
Dermot Power has also painted the artwork for several Batman trading cards, and a number of illustrations for the Magic: The Gathering and Warcraft card games. He currently lives and works out of London. For those of you into illustration or digital art, his website is well worth a visit.
David ‘Dave’ Francis Powers (1912–1998) was Special Assistant to President of the United States John F. Kennedy during the latter’s term in office.
The son of immigrants from County Cork, Powers was born in 1912, in the Charlestown area of Boston – a waterfront district of three-decker tenements. His father died when he was 2, and at age 10 David got a job as a newsboy, a position that he later said helped him get to know nearly everyone in the area. He attended college at night before joining the Army Air Force in 1942. He served for three years in Asia before being discharged at the end of World War II as a master sergeant.
Mr. Powers was in the motorcade in Dallas when Kennedy was killed, and after the assassination, Mr. Powers remained close to the Kennedy family, visiting often with the slain President’s children, Caroline and John Kennedy Jr.
He went on to assemble and catalogue thousands of pieces of Kennedy memorabilia and to raise money for the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum which opened in 1979.
John O’Connor Power – MP for Mayo 1874-1885 - was one of the most remarkable of the late nineteenth century Irish nationalists. He was born in 1846 in Tulsk, County Roscommon and was the third and youngest son of Patrick Power of Ballinasloe.
In his childhood he contracted smallpox and spent some time in the Ballinasloe workhouse. In 1860 he followed his two brothers to England, taking up work as a house painter in a family business and in a flannel mill in the winter months. He joined the Irish Republican Brotherhood and was one of the leaders on the aborted raid on Chester Castle and at the ‘Manchester Rescue’. In 1868 he spent six months in Kilmainham Jail.
As a member of the IRB Supreme Council, he collaborated with George Henry Moore, forging an alliance between Fenians and constitutional nationalists – a New Departure. After Moore’s sudden death, he enrolled as a student at St Jarlath’s College in Tuam, continuing his Fenian activities. In 1874, against strong opposition, he won a parliamentary seat, becoming the first man of no property to represent County Mayo. In 1876 he was in Washington for the centennial of American Independence and presented a congratulatory address to the House of Representatives, asking for recognition of Ireland’s claim to independence.
His long campaign for amnesty for Michael Davitt and other political prisoners reached a successful outcome at the end of 1877. He was a prominent obstructionist, and the Spy cartoon, which appeared in Vanity Fair in December 1886, is labelled ‘The brains of Obstruction’. He was the only MP present at the tenant rights meeting in Irishtown, which launched the Land War. In the 1880 general election he topped the poll in Mayo.
He was called to the Bar in 1881 and continued to fight for reform of the prison system. A radical and influential journalist, he wrote on Irish issues in American and English journals and newspapers. In 1885 he moved to the Liberals, believing he would be better placed to promote Home Rule. He worked closely with William O’Brien and Michael Davitt on the formation of the United Irish League. In 1893 he married the widow of a surgeon.
Acknowledged to be one of the great orators of his generation, O’Connor Power’s bestselling ‘The Making of an Orator’ was published in 1906. He died at home in Putney in February 1919.
Waterford and Canada have had an unexpectedly close historical relationship that dates back almost 500 years.
The first record of a ship travelling from South East Ireland to Newfoundland dates as far back as 1534 and by the eighteenth century, boats were making regular journeys to Canada for the fishing routes. While at the beginning they would return home for the winter, later on they would start to “over-winter” in Newfoundland. Emigration to this part of the world peaked in the early 1800s, and as a consequence it is estimated that today over 50% of Newfoundland’s population is of Irish origin. Not surprisingly it has been called “the most Irish place in the world outside of Ireland”.
As landlord of Comeragh House in 1853, John Palliser (seen opposite) had built a strong reputation as a Victorian adventurer from his travels to the Mississippi-Missouri river and across the Western Plains; which interestingly involved sharing a passage with Barnum Bailey Circus and General Tom Thumb.
In 1856, he began to get itchy feet and after garnering support from Dr Livingstone, he left the Comeraghs for a two year expedition to survey and map the Canadian North West. Over two years Palliser and his companions explored the entire region between Lake Superior and the Pacific Coast. They collected 460 species and some 60,000 specimens, some of which can still be found in the Botanical Gardens in London. They “discovered” and named many rivers and mountains such as Palliser’s River in the Rocky Mountains, the Bow River, Kananaski River and Pass, Fairholme Mountain, Palliser Range and most famous of all, Palliser’s Triangle which stretches for hundreds of miles.
The close relationship and cultural similarities of these two coastal communities do not go unacknowledged: with the annual Festival of the Sea held in Newfoundland and Ireland; a number of Trees of Honour were also recently planted in the Anne Valley, in memoriam to our Newfoundland-Irish ancestors and of course the solid presence of Canada Quay.
Michael Power was born on October 17, 1804 in Halifax, Nova Scotia to Irish immigrant parents. Something of an unsung hero, Bishop Michael Power started the construction of St. Michael’s Cathedral and founded the Archdiocese of Toronto.
Shortly after his installation as bishop in 1842, Power called a synod. During this meeting, Bishop Power laid down a number of rules designed to put the new Diocese on a firm footing and get it off to a good start. Pastors were not allowed to wander outside of their assigned parishes. Priests were not allowed to charge a fee for the administration of the sacraments. Churches were also required to erect baptismal fonts and confessionals, as well as to keep detailed baptism, marriage and funeral records. Immigrants who wanted to marry were also thoroughly investigated.
One of Bishop Power’s most notable achievements was the foundation of St. Michael’s Cathedral. At that time St. Paul’s parish was serving all of the Catholic population in the city of Toronto. Construction on the Cathedral began in April 1845; however, Bishop Power did not live to see it completed. While ministering to immigrants dying of typhus, he contracted the disease himself and died on October 1, 1847. Bishop Power’s remains were buried in a crypt beneath his unfinished cathedral.
In addition to a flourishing solo career, John Power had the distinction of being a member of two iconic British bands of the 1980s and ’90s, the La’s and Cast.
Born in Liverpool, England, in 1967, Power was 19 years old when he formed a band with fellow Liverpudlian Lee Mavers; that band would become the La’s, one of the most legendary U.K. acts of the ’80s, who released a top-selling album in 1990 but were also fabled for their striking live shows and the eccentricities of Mavers, who was never able to reproduce his grand musical vision in the recording studio.
Leaving Mavers and company and moving from bass to guitar, Power formed Cast; while they lacked the critical acclaim of fellow Britpop bands such as Oasis and Blur, Cast’s powerful, straight-ahead rock approach clicked with audiences, and their 1995 debut, All Change, became the fastest-selling debut album in the history of the venerable Polydor label. Cast’s second and third albums, 1997′s Mother Nature Calls and 1999′s Magic Hour, both went Top Ten in the U.K., but 2001′s Beetroot was a massive commercial disappointment, and in 2002 Power broke up the band.
In 2003, Power released his first solo album, a deeply personal acoustic set called Happening for Love, but the disc attracted few listeners and in 2005 Power rejoined the La’s when Lee Mavers opted to reunite the band for a series of festival appearances. While continuing to work with the La’s, Power resumed his solo career in 2006, releasing an album of hard-stomping folk-rock, Willow She Weeps, in the fall of that year and supporting the set with a tour of the U.K.
Edermine House, which was built by Sir John Power, of Power Distillery fame, in 1838. This impressive collection of buildings has been described as “possibly the most interesting domestic architectural ensemble in County Wexford.”
Edermine House, a fine example of the Greek revival style, is a two-storey, three-bay Italianite villa designed by John B. Keane, with a handsome portico formed by Doric columns. There is a five-bay side elevation with a Venetian window.
Edermine, with it’s chapel And splendid Victorian iron conservatory designed by Richard Turner and James Pierce – an extraordinary curvilinear conservatory with a central semi-dome, flanked by plant houses that once housed a grapery and a peachery. The chapel commissioned by Sir James
Power and his wife, Jane, built in the 1850s. Lady Power was a daughter of Pugin’s Irish patron, John Hyacinth Talbot, and the Power family later intermarried with the Cliffe family of Bellvue.
A plaque on the door and a second inside the chapel has led many to believe that the chapel is too late to have been designed by AWN Pugin, and they have ascribed it to either his son, Edward Welby Pugin, or to JJ McCarthy. However, Pat Doyle has long believed that the chapel is an original work by Pugin and that McCarthy merely supervised its later construction, and many contemporary writers believe the intermarriages between the Talbot and Power families underpin the supposition that the chapel was originally designed by the elder Pugin and that the project was supervised either by his son or by McCarthy.
Words and Photographs copyright to and courtesy of Reverend Patrick Comerford, Wexford and Dublin. With thanks.
John Powers (1852-1930), known as “Johnny De Pow” by his constituents, was an Irish born alderman in Chicago, Illinois from 1888-1903 and again from 1904–1927. He represented the Democratic Party.
Born in Co. Kilkenny, he moved to the USA at 20 years of age and settled in Chicago. He soon began working as an apprentice to a grocer. After later opening his own grocery store, he added a tavern next to it and used his exposure there to begin a political career. In 1888, Powers ran for alderman of Chicago’s 19th ward and won, after which he closed his grocery but continued to run the saloon, eventually opening a larger saloon which included gambling.
He was famous for buying votes by handing out over a thousand free turkeys each year at Christmas time, and throwing out handfuls of coins to supporters at campaign events. A notorious glad-hander it is said that he appeared at every funeral and wake in his ward, earning him the nickname “The Mourner”.
In September of 1920, John Powers had been alderman from the 19th Ward for 32 years but a month before, he had publicly embarrassed his political rival, Mafia underworld figure Tony D’Andrea. So everyone pointed to D’Andrea when a dynamite bomb exploded on the front porch of Powers’ house that day. The damage was extensive. Power’s survived and won the subsequent election. Shortly after the election, D’Andrea was assassinated. This election was the culmination of the Aldermen’s Wars.